Sunday 2 February 2014

Recipe 6- Spice Roast Chicken Wings

Recipe 6- Spice Roast Chicken Wings

Henry the cat "what'cha making there?"

So to start off this post, I hope you all had a wonderful Sunday. Whether it was settling in for the Superbowl like most, or just enjoying some time with family or friends. 
I was inspired to do this recipe, because..well... ITS THE SUPERBOWL TODAY! 
I am not a  huge sports fan, but my husband is.. and he was VERY keen on the idea of Recipe 6 being chicken wings. 

This weekend I got the pleasure of visiting a local business to purchase my wings.
I was specifically looking for the 'whole' wing, just like Chef Michael prefers. 
Low and behold our local "Dutchies Fresh Food Market" had them on sale this weekend!
This was my first visit to the store and man was I impressed. 
Such a beautifully laid out store. Everything looked so fresh and the staff were just WONDERFUL! 
Now I did go on a saturday afternoon, and wow!, was it ever BUSY! 
I carefully moved around the busy shoppers and made it to the meat counter.
I ordered my 12 wings that were required for the recipe and when the gentleman handed them over the counter... it was a HUGE thud into my hands. 
These had to be the heaviest wings I had ever held. 
We checked out of the store quite quickly as I had my 3 little ones in tow.
I know for sure that this will be a future location to purchase my fresh produce and meats.

So to start off this recipe, I gathered ingredients, which was a pretty short list today! 
Well who's that in the background on my T.V? ;)

In a bowl I added all the ingredients, which for the most part I ACTUALLY had in the house. This time all I needed from the store was wings, chilli powder and thyme. I am seriously needing to craft up a spice rack to start housing all these new goodies! But thats another post :) 

 In my bowl I have cornstarch, salt, thyme and sugar. 
Everything gets whisked together and that is it! 
Now out come my dinosaur size chicken wings. 
These seriously are the BIGGEST chicken wings I have ever seen.
My husband came into the kitchen and I quote " those can't be CHICKEN wings.. they are... HUGE!"
I was thinking the same thing haha.
So now the wings are put into the bowl and tossed in the breading. 
As I pointed out in the above pic, I was actually watching the Chef Michael episode where he makes these wings. He puts ALL of the wings into the bowl and effortlessly tosses them to perfection. 
Me... not so much! 
My bowl was FAR too small for these gigantic wings. I did mine 3 at a time! 
You can't even see the coating below, the wings were just enormous! 
They coated really nice and then were sent to my baking sheets. 
For this recipe, you get the option of any seasoning really. I chose the chilli & thyme.
I did 7 of the thyme, which is what is shown here and 5 chilli.
Here is the same steps and ingredients with the exception of chilli for thyme.
Now that all my wings are coated, onto the baking sheets they go! 
Now I noticed Chef Michael uses the "Silpat" liners for his tray. And after these came out I was seriously wishing that I had some haha! 
So elbow grease was required later for scrubbing my pans.

One little tip that I wanted to add was that after the wings have sat for a few minutes, they really start to soak up that coating. I gave my wings another toss in the left over coating in my bowl and it really made them nice and even.... it also doesn't hurt to rub some right on the wings if you are a perfectionist like me ;) haha
Into the oven they went for 1 hour

So while I was waiting, I cleaned up my kitchen.. tried to control my drooling as the wonderful smells seeped from my oven and then couldn't help but show the kids how much fun cornstarch and water can be. Who did this as a kid? 
My kids really enjoyed watching the cornstarch be a solid and then magically turn into liquid. 
And I am not going to lie... I had fun too :) 

TADAA! 

Our patience paid off and we were rewarded with the most flavourful, juicy wings we have EVER had!
Moist on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside.
They were so good!
I added a very light brushing of sauce. For the thyme, I used a honey garlic and for the chilli just a standard chicken/rib sauce. 
They really didn't even need the sauce, but my husband likes them with a little sauce.
I am not even exaggerating when I say these were to die for. 
MELT.IN.YOUR.MOUTH
These wings will definitely not be the last in this house!  
We have already thought up some nice combinations to try next time. 

Give these ones a go and don't be afraid to experiment with your own favourite
 flavours, this recipe is fail proof! 

As always my compliments to the chef and cheers to you, my friends! 

Below is a link to the recipe and instructions on Chef Michael Smith's website: 
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/roast-chicken-wings/12898/

I just had to add this pic... apparently someone was on guard of the wings...
"Nothing to see here, everything is under control, move along everyone"






No comments:

Post a Comment