Thursday 8 May 2014

Recipe 27- Breakfast Spuds & "Thank You" Winner Announcement

Recipe 27- Breakfast Spuds 

What better way to end off your weekend then with a delicious Sunday breakfast. This sunday was no exception for our family. The kids seemed to be moving a little slower that morning and were okay with waiting a bit for me to cook up a "Michael Smith meal" as they like to call it. 
Over the years I have slowly started to despise eggs for breakfast. I really have to be in the mood and I thought this recipe was a great alternative to the normal "bacon & eggs" breakfast.  

The recipe instructs you to bake your baby potatoes the night/day before and store them in the fridge, that is why the picture above looks like wrinkly old potatoes haha ;) 

So to start off the the recipe, I sliced my onions, yummy bacon, shredded some cheese and got my pan heating up. 

Now you all know that I quite enjoy watching Chef Michael work his magic in the kitchen. I have seen him use this bacon cooking method before, but this was new for me to actually tackle it. So the chopped bacon goes into the pan and water is added, just to slightly cover the bacon. I think initially I added a little too much water, so it took a VERY long time to do this process. But I was patient. The water allows the bacon to cook and then the fat is released and allows the bacon to crisp. I thought I was an expert Chef for a minute when I did the method Chef Michael shows of tilting the pan and allowing the bacon to sizzle away in the drippings. You really do get an even, crispy bacon by using this method. 
Give it a try! 
Next, the bacon is suppose to be set aside and reserved. In my morning fog of sleep I somehow didn't realize I missed this step... Until the end. 
Next to the pan go the sliced onions. They are allowed to turn a golden brown and become soft. Let me tell you, the smell in your kitchen at this point is 100% the perfect 'breakfast time smell', I soon had small children peering into the kitchen to see when it would be done! 
While the onions were cooking down, I pulled my pre baked potatoes out and gently smooshed each one down with the bottom side of a glass. This is actually quite fun, they make a cool sound! 
The potatoes are laid and nestled among the onions and allowed to warm up and become a little crisped. I gave each one a flip, just to make sure they were evenly warmed through. 
This picture should be a scratch and sniff! 
Next the potatoes are draped in your grated cheddar cheese and let to melt a little.
Then the chopped chives are sprinkled on top and they are ready to serve! 

This breakfast was a hearty, but not heavy. I just loved the bacon, onions and potatoes all from the same pan. Its like the ultimate hash brown :) 
I really wouldn't of needed anything more for breakfast, but I was eyeing up that Heritage bread that was cooling on the counter. It would of been an excellent side to this dish. 
You can see the Heritage Bread on my last post, Recipe 26.

If you need a wholesome breakfast for the lazy weekend mornings, this is a great go to recipe! My kids and husband really enjoyed it and so did I . I also think this would be a great staple recipe for camping trips. 

As always my compliments to the Chef and cheers to you, my friends! 



No comments:

Post a Comment