Monday 27 January 2014

Recipe 4- Call the fire dept, we had a fail! Pan Rushed Salmon & 3 Tomatoes

Recipe 4- Call the fire dept, we had a fail! 
Pan Rushed Salmon with 3 Tomatoes


I know what you are thinking... That doesn't look like a fail?
Don't worry I will tell you my second kitchen fail that had my smoke alarms going crazy! 

So as you will see in this recipe, there are only 2 filets shown. This Friday, "Come Dine with me Canada" will be coming to my home to film my on camera audition for the show.
I will be using the other 2 filets on Friday, I wanted to try out the recipe first.
I am required to "cook a dish in under 30 min"
No soup, salad or pizza... In less then 30 mins?
That's how I chose this recipe. Nothing cooks quicker then some filets of fish.
Chef Michael Smiths recipe makes a quick dinner into something restaurant quality. 
I was shocked when I dug into this dish, it tasted like something you would choose while dining out. And was made in less then 30 mins! 
Thats quicker then a frozen pizza.

To start off this recipe, I took a quick trip to Zehrs to pick up some salmon filets.
While at the fish counter, I got chatting with a woman that was originally from out east. I told her that today was my first time buying fresh fish. She told me once you make fresh fish yourself, anything else will boring. 
So into my cart went some Fresh Atlantic Salmon filets.
They were pretty pricey, but as I later found out.. very worth the extra! 

So I rounded up all of the pots and pans that I would need, along with all my ingredients. On top of cooking this recipe today for blog purposes, I also needed to time myself to see how long this recipe would take me. 
I started off by heating up my pan. This recipe calls to 'sear' your filets first and then the cooking process finishes in the pan with your tomatoes.
Well this is where my fail shortly comes in. I have never 'seared' anything, so when it says that the pan needs to be medium to high heat for this to happen, I turned my dial to 8. Next I added in my oil.
Everything was going great. The filets had a nice sizzle when they hit the pan. Just like Chef Michael says. The filets looked great! 

And now is when I realize that I have not thought about my new 'copper bottom pan' distributing heat maybe TOO well  and all that now... VERY HOT OIL sitting in the pan.
The filets come out and the chopped onion and garlic go in.....
AND SOUND THE ALARMS! 
By this time my pan was WAY TOO HOT! I threw in my garlic and onions and seconds later I got this...

Yup, this is some BLACK BURNT onions and garlic. Our home is equipped with a direct line to our local fire dept, I am sure they were shaking their heads as I sounded the alarm 4 more times trying to get the grey smoke out of my kitchen. 
At this point I was doubting my ability to make this ON CAMERA in less the 30 minutes, let alone completing this dish without burning my kitchen down.
So I started over with my onions and garlic. 
And I must say, with the amount of onions  and garlic I have chopped over the last week.. I am getting really good at mincing. I have all my finger tips to prove it! 
knock on wood.

Next go in the beautiful tomatoes. I was sure to pick the freshest and most fragrant cherry tomatoes that my Zehrs carried. They were a little more pricey then the 'grape tomatoes', but again, well worth the extra. Into my garlic and onion mixture went some canned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes. Now this recipe calls for 'dried tomatoes'. I obviously have heard of sun dried, as thats what I used, but when I used google for this, it says that you can dry tomatoes yourself?
Have any of you ever dried your own tomatoes? Also do stores sell just  dried tomatoes? 
Let me know! 
So all of my tomatoes are simmering and in the pan goes some dry oregano. A quick stir and back into the pan go my beautifully seared salmon. 
A lid and 5 minutes of your patience delivers the BEST salmon dish I have had to date. 

To finish off this recipe, it calls for fresh chopped oregano as a topping.
I have not been able to find this again in my grocery store. This has inspired me to soon build my own indoor herb garden. I think it would be great to have fresh herbs at hand! 

So for my husbands 31st birthday he patiently waited while I burned down our kitchen, wafted grey smoke and delivered one of the best salmon dishes he or I had ever had. 
It was delicious! 
I paired this dish with a bed of fresh made pasta. If you are interested, see my blog post on how I made the pasta. 
Try this recipe for a quick meal through the week! 

As always my compliments to the chef, my apology to the fire dept and cheers to you, my friends! 
Enjoy

Here is a link to Chef Michael Smiths Web page with ingredients and instructions on this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/pan-rushed-salmon-with-three-tomatoes/12868/



1 comment:

  1. You can get a dehydrator and dry out your tomatoes. We have one it's like 25$. I suppose you could do it in a low oven too. Google that. I have bought dried tomatoes in a package before. I think it's usually where the fancy cheeses and stuff are.

    ReplyDelete