Monday 31 March 2014

Recipe 18 & 19- Mouthwatering Ribs

Recipe 18 &19 - RIBS

I just wanted to start off this post by saying a HUGE thank you to everyone for their patience for my blog posts this week. I had an unfortunate event with my macbook, I lost my entire hard drive and had to have it replaced. I lost about 40% of my information during the crash, but thankfully the "Genius" bar at my local apple store was able to get everything up and running again. So here we are now and what better way to jump back into the blogging then talking about the 
MOST DELICIOUS RIBS I HAVE EVER HAD! 

This blog post will consist of the 2 Ribs recipes that Chef Michael has shared in his book. 
One is a dry rub and the other is a more of a sauce. 

Recipe 18 is the Slow Baked Honey Mustard Ribs
We were having a small gathering at our house this week with an old friend that has been watching my blog and seeing all the great recipes that I have prepared. I decided that EVERYONE loves a good rack of ribs and the recipe was easily doubled to feed a crowd. For this recipe I prepared 5 racks of ribs. 
To start off its a simple recipe of Honey, Yellow mustard some Thyme and salt. 
I suggest finding a nice strong flavoured Honey to really let the flavour come through on your ribs, and I love some of the local honey we have available here.
Before the sauce is laid over the ribs, you are told to remove the 'fell' from the back side of the ribs. 
I had no idea that this was even a 'thing'. Chef Michael says that you local butcher can do this for you. 
But for the sake of trying everything once along this journey, I decided to give it a try. 
Let me tell you, I am so glad that my friend Craig again saved the day here. He guided me through the process. In my opinion, its not as easy as it looks. You really need to use some elbow grease to remove this. I was able to get some really great pics of my friend Craig taking care of the first rack. 
After that, I got my hand in there and gave it a try. I am not going to lie, I may of screamed like a girl. It was kind of gross LOL. 
Craig made this look like a walk in the park! We used a nice sturdy large spoon and you work the backside under the fell. When you work at it a bit, the fell lifts off the meat and you are able to just pull it off. 5 racks later, a bit of laughing and screaming the ribs were ready for the sauce.
I used a large disposable tray for cooking, and made sure to tightly wrap with some heavy foil. 
Once the ribs were evenly coated on both sides. The foil went on and the into the oven went the ribs.
My oven was pre heated to 400' and when the ribs were put in, I lowered it to 300' for the next 2 hours. The ribs smelled delicious and my guests could not wait for the big reveal when they were done. 
After the ribs came out of the oven, we layered them onto a huge baking sheets and popped them under the broiler for about 10 minutes or so. The got a wonderful brown colour. Then you can use your leftover drippings in the pan as your sauce for the ribs. We served the racks of ribs up with some garlic mashed potatoes. They were deliciously tender and full of flavour, these were a HUGE hit with our guests! 

Recipe 19- Slow Chili Ribs 

This recipe was very simple and the ribs are to DIE for!  This recipe, like most Rib recipes is all about PATIENCE. The cook time for these was a little longer and they were totally worth the wait. 
I started off by mixing my ingredients into a bowl which consisted of brown sugar, chilli powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon? ... Yes cinnamon. This threw me a little off, but hey.. gotta follow the recipe! I later found out the cinnamon really gives these ribs a slightly smoky taste when mixed with the chilli powder, delicious.
This recipe was not doubled, I used 2 rack of ribs and another disposable tin tray. 
Again, I had to remove the fell from the ribs, which was a task and a half. This time they did not come off as 'easy' as the last time. 
I made sure the ribs were evenly rubbed with the mixture, let me tell you.. they already looked and smelled amazing. 
Again these ribs were put into a previously preheated oven of 400' and the temp was dropped to 300'.
For 3 hours the smells seeping from my oven were drool worthy. My husband came home from work and said "what is that amazing smell? I hope thats dinner tonight" 
When the ribs came out they were literally falling off the bone. I was also surprised to see drippings in the pan. This was a completely dry recipe so I wasn't expecting any liquid. 
The bone was easily pulled from the meat on these ones.
Do I really need to say more.... ?
We served these ribs up with a cool creamy cucumber salad and yet again.. garlic mashed potatoes. 
I have to say the cucumber salad was an excellent addition to these ribs. The dry rub had a bit of spiciness to them, and biting into the cool salad was very refreshing. 
Upon first bite of these tender ribs a silence was taken oven in the room. They were so good that literally no one could talk while eating them. I actually said " how am I going to write about these, when I have no words" 
This recipe would be hit for a backyard summer BBQ.
They are a must try FOR SURE! 

As always my compliments to the Chef and cheers to you, my friends! 


Please check back for Recipe 20- Peanut butter brownies
we served these as dessert for the Honey Mustard Ribs.

Link to the Honey Mustard Rib Recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/slow-baked-honey-mustard-ribs/13303/

You can also find me here: 

https://twitter.com/Leslie1669
https://www.facebook.com/100recipesin52
http://instagram.com/100recipes52weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment