Thursday 3 April 2014

Recipe 20- The Ultimate of ALL Brownies- Peanut Butter Brownies

Recipe 20- The Ultimate of ALL Brownies- Peanut Butter Brownies

So Recipe 20 is the one of the BEST brownie recipes I have ever made. Back in the day when I first started making things in the kitchen, I was about 8. I pulled out my moms recipe books and made a brownie recipe. Let me just say, I could of used the brownies as a patio stone in our backyard garden. They were so hard and their only saving grace was the thick coating of icing I put on them LOL! 

Needless to say after that one recipe, I never made a brownie recipe again from scratch. 
I kind of laughed to myself when I saw this recipe in Chef Michaels book, I instantly had flash backs of that day.  But here I am today, with  a better concept of cooking and baking and I felt redeemed when I took a bite out of these! 
To start off I gathered my ingredients. I didn't go with any fancy ingredients like specialty cocoa powder or chocolate, just the normal things you find at the grocery store. 

I first mixed the dry ingredients into a bowl. Flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Next was something new I haven't see for making brownies, I used a pot of hot water and a glass bowl on top to melt my chocolate and butter. This process takes a while, but the results are a very smooth chocolate batter and ps... it smells amazing! 
After the chocolate and butter has been melted together, you add in the brown sugar, vanilla and eggs. 
One tip I would add here, make sure you let the chocolate slightly cool down a bit before dropping the eggs in. No one likes scrambled egg brownies! 
When the brown sugar goes into the chocolate mixture, it instantly smells like fresh warm gooey chocolate chip cookies. After everything is whisked together in the bowl, you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.  Here is one other tip, I took my time to gently fold in the wet and dry ingredients. I think this helped the brownies not become a patio stone... haha. 
Next I poured half of the batter into my lined baking pan. You will need a quite large pan for these brownies, but that really isn't a downfall here, you want LOTS OF BROWNIES! 
In a separate bowl you mix the peanut butter mixture that you will be adding to the brownies. I whisked together butter, peanut butter icing sugar, vanilla and freshly ground nutmeg. 
At first I struggled with the whisk mixing, you will have something that looks like a peanut butter microphone lol, I switched to using a spatula and that worked much better. You end up with a very creamy and soft mixture. 
Next you take spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture and drop them into the half full tray of brownie mix. Then I used a spoon handle, as directed by Chef Michael in the recipe to make the marble effect. After you have got everything spread around evenly, you add the other half of the mixture to the top.
You then repeat the above steps. Your brownie tray will look like an amazing chocolate peanut butter tie dye! 

Now the brownies go into a 350' oven and baked for 30 minutes. This is when the torture part comes in, for the next half hour you will smell warm gooey chocolate smells drifting from your oven. 

When they came out of the oven I could barely control myself to not just jump in and take a huge bite.
Wait the agonizing 20 minutes or so for them to cool enough that they can be cut and hold their shape.
Nothing and I mean nothing will go better with these then a tall glass of milk. (ok maybe ice cream)

Warm out of the oven these brownies are heavenly. The texture is like a classic moist brownie, thick and delicious.  I shared this tray with friends that evening and my dear friend Brian ate so many of these, he had a self induced 'brownie coma'. 
We enjoyed them so much that a second tray was made less then 24 hours later and distributed to family. These are way too good to not share the brownie love as Chef Michael would say.

Mr.Smith sure knows how to make a mean brownie recipe, let me tell you that! 
Let me know if you make these and how you enjoy them! 

As always, my compliments to the Chef and cheers to you my friends! 

Link to the recipe: 
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/peanut-butter-brownies/13301/


You can also find me here: 

https://twitter.com/Leslie1669
https://www.facebook.com/100recipesin52
http://instagram.com/100recipes52weeks 

No comments:

Post a Comment