Friday 18 April 2014

Recipe 23- Pan Fried Crispy Crusty Whitefish

Recipe 23- Pan Fried Crispy Crusty Whitefish 

Happy Saturday to everyone! I hope you are having a relaxing weekend. 
I thankfully was on the mend this week from my ear infection and was really craving some fish. 
I had lost my appetite for over a week and this was pretty much all I could think of. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. I vowed the other night after eating this, I would never buy another breaded fish filet from the store again. This recipe knocks any of the store versions out of the park. 
Earlier in the journey, I had read through the entire cookbook and looked at every single ingredient. Some of these ingredients are not easily found in my area. When I saw that Chef Michael had preferred the "Old Bay" seasoning for this recipe, I knew I had to track it down. I figured this would be quite the task as I have never seen it in any of my local stores. 
My dear friend Emilie told me to check Sobeys as they carry a lot of the Maritime products. 
Sure enough, there it was on the shelf. It was pretty hidden, but it was like a prize when I got it into my cart! 
I am still on the hunt for another product for the bread recipe in this cookbook. It has been an extremely hard thing to find, so I am wondering how I will manage that recipe when the time comes. 
There are substitutions in the book, but wanting it be authentic.. I would love to find these. 
I am hunting the "Red fife" and " St.John Valley Cereal" Both of the products are manufactured by the Speerville Flour Mill in New Brunswick. 
Have any of you used or know where to find these? Let me know:) 
Anyways.... Lets get back to the recipe! 


I gathered my ingredients. Whole wheat flour, "Old Bay" seasoning, eggs, salt and pepper. 
First I mixed together the flour mixture and then whisked up the eggs in a separate bowl. 
My fish of choice was "haddock". My fresh filets were ready for breading. 
Believe it or not, I have never breaded my own fish filets. I really like the idea of using whole wheat flour for that extra texture. I started off by getting the first filet into the flour mixture and getting it evenly coated. Next was a dip into the whisked eggs and then back into the flour mixture. At the end of coating all the filets, your fingers look like a breaded delicacy haha. 
Chef Michael Smith gives other seasoning options in the book if you would like to use something other then "Old Bay". One that I will be trying next time is the dill .. yumm! 

I heated up my large skillet and when hot, added in some oil. Next I used my hands down favourite butter, "Cows creamery butter". If  ANY recipe calls for butter, this is whats going in. 
The filets sizzled so nicely as they hit the pan, and upon first flip, they looked fantastic! 
Within 3 minutes per side, these filets were ready to eaten. 
Such a quick cook time, and the fish not at all overcooked. It was light and flakey. 

I served up the filets with some brown rice, a wedge of lemon and sprig of dill. 
And how can I forget, my all time favourite tartar sauce from Manitoulin Island. 
My family has cottage in Tobermory and this is a MUST buy every time the jar gets low. 
Speaking of which, another jar is in order after this meal! 

When we dug into our dinner, I could not get over how nicely the fish was coated in this nice and light batter. It added to the fish and was not at all over powering. I quite enjoyed it and so did my friends and family. My kids were absolutely silent while devouring their fish. I have learned over the last few months, that the recipes should always be increased as one serving isn't enough in this house. 
 I really hope you give this one a try! 
And for the record, this was one of the first times I could of ditched the tartar sauce and eaten my fish without. But it was a nice compliment on the side. 

As always my compliments to the Chef and cheers to you, my friends.

Thank you to everyone for sticking by me through my journey so far. My blog has breached the 8000 visitor mark and everyday it just astonishes me! 


You can also find me here: 

https://twitter.com/Leslie1669
https://www.facebook.com/100recipesin52
http://instagram.com/100recipes52weeks 

No comments:

Post a Comment