Thursday 24 April 2014

Recipe 24- Whole Wheat Biscuits

Recipe 24- Whole Wheat Biscuits 

What is better then the classic biscuit? This recipe is! 
I was really looking forward to this recipe since I saw Chef Michael make these on one of his TV episodes. I was intrigued by the shape, since the typical biscuit is round. 
Not to mention anything baked with the incredible Cows Creamery butter, it just to die for! 

To start off with this recipe, you need a brick of butter rock solid frozen. Last time I did this I tossed the butter in my fridge freezer, but this time.. I dug into my chest freezer surplus.. and let me tell you, it was ROCK hard! 
I gathered the required ingredients. Whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk, and baking powder.
 After all the dry ingredients were well incorporated, it was time to do the labor intensive part.
I really like Chef Michaels tip about grating your frozen butter into the dry ingredients. This totally skips having to use a pastry cutter and also insures that the butter is even through the dry mix. 
But let me tell you, your in for a work out with this one. 
Butter was flying everywhere as I grated it. My cat Henry quite enjoyed cleaning up the butter bits that were flying around my kitchen. I am not even exaggerating.. it was on my shirt, floor, counter top, arms you name it! But I am glad to report that 90% did hit the bowl... maybe haha! 

After my hands had a nice coating of butter, which by the way is an excellent moisturizer.. ;).. I tossed the flour and butter gently together. 

Chef Michael says to do this part quickly, you want to keep that butter frozen! 

I once again got messy with this step.. Butter + flour+ hands and rings on fingers= Diamonds that could turn into bread! 

I totally forgot to remove my wedding rings and well...ya, they got a tad nasty! 

Moving on... 







Next goes in the milk and everything is mixed with the end of a wooden spoon until it comes together. Then its time to plop the dough out on to a floured surface and kneaded. I also made sure to fold the dough on its self, this gives it nice layers. Once again you want to be quick with this step, you want that butter to stay intact and not begin melting from the warmth of your hands. 
I patted my dough into a round and then used my heavy duty marble rolling pin to get everything nice and flat. While rolling the dough I noticed I was quick enough to keep the butter from melting. I could actually see the butter in the dough.. if you look close enough you will see it in the picture above. I then used my pizza cutter to cut the dough into wedges. 
The wedges were placed onto a parchment lined baking sheet and then topped with some coarse finishing salt and pepper. 
So I kind of forgot the pepper part until they were in the oven for 2 mins.. so I managed to literally grind the pepper onto the biscuits while in the oven.. I should sign up for cirque du soliel .. this was quite a feat hah! But it did make it on! 
After 15 mins the biscuits are nice and fluffy and golden brown. I want to show a comparison of how much these biscuits rose! Its amazing! 
As soon as those biscuits were cool enough, I had my butter ready and was going in for the kill.
These biscuits truly do have an excellent texture. I really love the whole wheat flour, it makes them have so much flavour opposed to white flour only. 
I quite enjoyed these biscuits and they made a lovely addition to our meal that night, I served these with recipe 25- Fresh Chilli! 
I think these would be great with any soup or stew actually, and Chef Michael also gives a recipe for some vanilla honey butter that you can make to go with these. 


As always my compliments to the chef and cheers to you, my friends! 

Link to recipe: 
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/whole-wheat-biscuits/13222/

                                                         

                                                            You can also find me here:

https://twitter.com/Leslie1669
https://www.facebook.com/100recipesin52
http://instagram.com/100recipes52weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment